Training and Refresher Course
A new Rota System will be in place as we welcome back our Altar Server Teams.
For those who wish to become Altar Severs there is now a training course arranged for October. Children must attend all five sessions in order to enrol. There will be consent forms available for parents to sign giving permission regarding live streaming. The training sessions will take place on a Saturday between 1-2pm at the Church.
Training Dates are as follows:
Saturday 9th October 1-2pm
Saturday 16th October 1-2pm
Saturday 23rd October (half-term) - no training
Saturday 30th October 1-2pm
Saturday 6th November 1-2pm
Saturday 13th November 1-2pm
All sessions MUST be completed by new Altar Servers.
DUTIES AT SUNDAY MASS
- Arrive for your scheduled Mass 15 minutes prior to the start of the Mass.
- Wear clean shoes, black shoes preferred. You may wear sandals, but no flip-flops.
- Select your Alb. The Alb should be long enough to come to the top of your shoes. Remember your Alb is a sacred vestment and should be treated as such.
- Make sure these items are in place for Mass.
- Roman Missal
- Book stand on the altar
- Water jug, bowl and hand towel on the table
- Cruet of water on the table
- Unconsecrated hosts and wine on the table near the altar or if an Offertory Prossesion then placed at the table near the back bench.
6. If holy water is used, be sure the holy water bucket and aspergilium (sprinkler) are where the priest may want them.
7. Light candles. For Sunday Mass and the Saturday evening Vigil that means those on the altar and those on the high altar next to the tabernacle. If there are at least two servers, light the processional counters that you will carry. If you are a cross bearer (crucifer) get the cross and be ready to help lead the priest, deacon and other servers.
8. If you are carrying the thurible (incense) get it and be ready – YOU will lead the entrance procession.
REMEMBER: Don’t worry, we will show you how to serve, when to ring the bell, when to step forward with the water and wine, how to arrive and leave the sanctuary, all will be explained and senior servers and James will be on hand to guide you.
ALTAR SERVER PRAYER
Lord Jesus, thank you for the opportunity to serve you during the Holy Mass.In Your Sacred Presence
My heart is filled with joy and peace. May your Spirit always guide me, I also ask Saint Teresa, Saint Stephen and my Guardian Angel to bless me and pray for my family and me as I serve at the altar.Amen.